Mastering, 'Mastering the art of French cooking' by Julia Child.

 



 Every now and then you have to set yourself personal challenges and goals. I do like a challenge but I have to admit, I don't accept or set myself many of them. That is until I saw the film 'Julie and Julia.' It's a light hearted comedy about an office worker in America who is basically fed up with her mundane 9-5 life and wants a change. A fan of the TV chef Julia Child, she sets herself a challenge. She wants to work her way through Julia's best selling cook book, 'Mastering the art of French cooking' and to write a blog about it. The film concentrates on her effort to do this, while at the same time giving the viewer a glimpse into the life and times of Julia Child herself. I won't give too much away. But what I will say, is that this a lovely film and one that really gives you an insight into both women's lives. 

 So this got me thinking. If she can do it then so can I. I have always been an admirer of Julia Child and have always wanted to buy both editions of her book. But for one reason or another I could never get my hands on them, Enter stage left, Amazon! A quick click of a mouse and a PayPal transaction later and I was the proud owner of volumes one and two of this amazing and legendary cook book. My aim is to not just do what many others have done before me and copy out the recipes. That's to easy. In this new age of social media, It is my intention to not only cook my way through these books. But to also blog, vlog and photograph my way through them as well. Filling platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok and Tumblr with pictures, videos and blog posts bursting with the delights of the French kitchen table courtesy of Miss Child. 

 A lot of the recipes are long winded and fairly complicated and can be quite daunting. Especially if you are new to cooking. However they are not impossible to do. In fact the first recipe I chose to have a stab at was the Coq Au Vin. A French classic that is comforting, filling and very, very tasty. I have a lot of kitchen experience and know my way around ingredients so I do have an advantage. So for me this was not that much of a challenge. But I was still surprised how east it actually was. The key to cracking it, is preparation. But that can be said for any recipe you tackle. If you get your preparation right then the rest is pretty plain sailing.

 With recipe one under my belt, I am feeling fairly confident that I can work my way through the rest of the book hope fully with some ease? But as they say. Only time will tell. If you want to follow my culinary journey then look me up on all of the major social media platforms. I will of course be updating this site as I go also. If it goes really well, I may even start to make some of my experiences into YouTube videos? 

Comments