The Railway Tavern, Charfield South Gloucestershire.

The great British pub is a classic institution. It’s been there in one way or another ever since we Brits figured out how to ferment hops, fry pork skin into bite sized, teeth shattering bits of salty nastiness and realised that you can make a small fortune out of charging earth shattering amounts for a small glass of grape juice to someone stupid enough to pay it! It stands in most towns and villages like a proud relic of what used to be. No longer are they places purely for drinking, talking about your latest sexual conquest, arguing the toss over who should have won the football at the weekend and putting the world to rights with your mates after a long week at work. Pubs nowadays are places of sophistication, smartness, elegance and above all gastronomy. This is mainly because most breweries are quite happy to royally shaft their tenants on rent and beer costs, tying them into everything so therefore they have no option but to cater for the masses and dedicate part of their ye olde tavern into a makeshift Claridges. 

But all that aside, I like a pub. Most of them are great places to eat and drink. And there are still a few hidden gems that are purely drinking houses but the majority are now gastro pubs. And most offer great food. One of those great pubs is in the village where I live. The Railway Tavern in Charfield is a family run pub that offers home cooked pub grub at a good cost and portion sizes are generous to say the least. I have visited this place now three times. Each time I’ve had a different meal and each meal a delight to eat. On my first visit I had their southern fried chicken burger. Freshly made and the southern fried coating was light and well seasoned. I’m guessing homemade and not out of a packet or a tub. On my second visit I had the chicken goujon starter followed by their homemade lasagne. Both dishes where excellent. The lasagne was very tasty, fresh and plentiful. My third visit I had steak and ale pie with chips. The pie was a proper pie. And if you are a regular reader of mine then you’ll know how I detest with an evangelical passion puff pastry lids! So I was glad when this turned up. Taste wise it was nice but a little over seasoned for me. I’d like not to die at the dinner table of a salt induced heart attack! The pastry was a little tough to cut into which makes me wonder how how fresh this was? But it was a nice and pleasant dish. Well put it this way I ate it all so it couldn’t have been that bad.

The rest of the menu is fairly extensive with plenty to choose from. Some dishes like the Cambodian Street food curry you wouldn’t find on any other pub menu. This is one for those vegans! I think it’s law now that you have to keep them happy otherwise they start squatting in your car park telling the world how monstrous you are for eating chicken. The dessert menu is a little small with only a few things to choose from. I can highly recommend their sticky toffee pudding with custard. With a 6pm supper club most days this is an ideal place to eat midweek if you don’t want to fire up the oven at home. You won’t be disappointed if you go, this is a great little place. 

What else I like about this place apart from being on my doorstep is that the staff are lovely. Really helpful and friendly. They are a credit to the owners. The pub itself is traditional in decor and very homely and inviting. A traditional English village pub it has all the charm you’d expect and is family friendly. I’ll definitely be returning and I’d highly recommend as I have do already to anyone.




Comments