Larrson's Coffee House, St Ive's Cornwall.

Back in the summer of last year when we were all nearly dying of heat exhaustion, I took myself off down to Cornwall for the week. Staying just outside the lovely town of Looe it was a glorious week. On one of those days I found myself walking around the back streets soaking up the atmosphere like a sponge soaks up water, it was delightful. Feeling a little peckish I wandered into Larssons Coffee House. Now usually I avoid coffee houses because they contain screaming children, mothers who can’t control them because they are far to engrossed in Facebook and pouting for pictures for Instagram. And I haven’t even started on their ghastly overpriced coffee and rip off food! However I made an exception in this case as the place was empty and was serving up some Spanish style tapas dishes. And it had a wine bar! So off inside I went, greeted with a warm smile and a friendly hello I was seated at a table near the window. I ordered a cold beer and perused the menu. Suddenly something rather quite delightful sounding took my eye. A pan fried crepe stuffed with a mixture of Spanish chorizo, crispy pancetta, Cajun spiced cremé fraiche and wilted rocket and spinach! That was it I was sold. Bring it to me it now my head was screaming! 

The really great thing about dining in a place like this was that the kitchen was open and the smells coming from it hit your senses like a freight train knocking you into a world of gastronomical wonderment! Garlic, chilli, chorizo, onion, all dancing a merry dance in the same pan. Singing away to the hearts delight to any diner me included. Eventually my dish arrived. It was nothing pretty to look at but as they say it’s what’s on the inside that counts and boy did I want to get inside of this. In I go knife and fork poised like Sir Lancelots lance ready to go into battle.

The first bite was extraordinary, mouth wateringly delicious the flavours exploding like fireworks on the Fourth of July. The chorizo beautifully cooked with a nice crispness around the edges. A nice kick from the chilli but not too overpowering. The creaminess of the cremé fraiche mellowed everything down nicely. The smokiness of the bacon gave a lovely warm after taste and the spinach and rocket gave it that healthy vibe. All washed down with an ice cold beer this was a lovely lunch. Perfect for couples or just a lonely diner like myself. The staff are very polite and friendly and they will alter the food to suit your tastes. And what I mean by that is that they will ask you if your like your food spicy or not? 

This is a lovely place tucked away in the back street so look out for it you won’t want to miss it. Skip the usual coffee shops and cream tea stations. You can have them anywhere at anytime. Give Larrsons a go you won’t be disappointed.




Comments