Spaghetti Pomodoro - Recipe.

 Italian cuisine is one of the greatest cuisines in the world. Healthy, easy to prepare and cook. Extremely tasty and simply wonderful. One of my favourites is Spaghetti Carbonara. I always judge an Italian restaurant by the quality and tastiness of their Carbonara. But recently, I discovered another spaghetti dish which I ashamedly dismissed as boring and uninspiring. Until, I tied it for myself and my whole opinion changed. The dish I question, was Spaghetti Pomodoro. Spaghetti, tossed in tomato sauce with a little garlic and basil. To me that sounds quite plain and unadventurous. But one night IA was scratching my head thinking of something different to cook. I looked in the cupboard and I had pasta and garlic. I looked in the fridge, I had cherry tomatoes, parmesan cheese and hand an onion. So I thought I'd give Pomodoro a go. Here is how I did it and what you will need to do it too.


Ingredients:

Spaghetti (enough for two people)

1 punnet of cherry tomatoes

2 cloves pf garlic

Fresh basil

Olive Oil

Parmesan Cheese

Salt and Pepper

Oregano

Half a white onion


Method:

Take your onion and dice finely. In a pan add a good helping of Olive Oil. On a low heat, gently fry the onion until it starts to go translucent. Take your tomatoes and cut them in half. Add them to the pan with the onions and mix well. Next take the two cloves of garlic and remove their skins. Press the cloves with the side of a knife but do not crush them. This will allow the oils in the garlic to be released more easily. Add them to the pan with the inion and tomatoes. Mix well and season with salt, pepper and add your basil. If you cannot get fresh then dried will do. Add about a teaspoon to begin with and add more later if you need to? Add the oregano as well. Again fresh is good, but if you are using dried then start with a teaspoon. Cook all of the ingredients together gently until the tomatoes and garlic become soft and tender.

As they are cooking, boil a pan of slated water for the pasta. There is no need to add olive oil to the water. It doesn't do anything apart from waste good olive oil. Add the pasta to the water as soon as it is boiling and submerge the spaghetti and cook until a little al-dente. Once the pasta is cooked add a ladle full of the water to the tomatoes to create a sauce. Mix well and taste. Adjust the seasonings if needed? Once you are happy with the flavour, grate parmesan cheese into the tomatoes and add the cooked spaghetti. Serve with a good chunk of garlic bread or ciabatta right out of the oven. 

bon Apetitio!






Comments